20 Soldiers Killed and Nearly 1,000 People Homeless in a Militant Attack in Northeastern Nigeria
Staff Host Account
/ Categories: Islam Times-English

20 Soldiers Killed and Nearly 1,000 People Homeless in a Militant Attack in Northeastern Nigeria

The militants entered Monguno in Borno state posing as a convoy of soldiers on Tuesday evening, the sources said. They then attacked troops inside the town, destroying at least 750 homes in the process. Resident Gumati Sadu said people fled into the bush for safety during the fighting and that three civilians were killed by stray bullets, Reuters reported. A military spokesman declined to comment. Daesh (ISIL or ISIS) West Africa Province (ISWAP) claimed responsibility for the attack on its Amaq news agency. It said that one of its militants detonated a car bomb in the town, killing at least 8 soldiers and destroying 3 armored vehicles. The group also said it had seized a vehicle, weapons and ammunition before leaving the town. ISWAP split from extremist group Boko Haram in 2016 and has since staged its own frequent attacks in the region. Boko Haram’s decade-long insurgency campaign has killed thousands and displaced millions in northeastern Nigeria. Thousands in Monguno had already been displaced from their homes elsewhere in Borno state by militants. Aid group Medecins Sans Frontiers warned last year that many thousands in Monguno lacked proper shelter, water, sanitation and food.

Link to original article

Previous Article US House of Representatives Is About to Prevent Trump from Going to War with Iran
Next Article Iranian Missiles Target U.S. Military Bases in Iraq
Print
35 Rate this article:
No rating

Leave a comment

Add comment

x