Media Fabricating News on Karbala Protests
Staff Host Account
/ Categories: Islam Times-English

Media Fabricating News on Karbala Protests

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, Karbala Governor Nassif al-Khattabi said viral footage of security forces shooting at protesters were fake and meant to “incite the street” in the city. He said that a curfew had been enforced in Karbala upon a request by protesters in a bid to protect their lives. No one was killed, but some sustained injuries, most of them security forces, Khattabi added. Khttabi further told Iran’s Al-Alam news network that life has now returned to normal in Karbala. He added that the protests will not hinder the pilgrims from visiting the holy shrines in the Shia city. Additionally, Karbala’s police chief confirmed that no protester had been killed, noting that there was only a premeditated murder that happened some two kilometers away from the protest zone. He said some elements had infiltrated into the protests to disrupt peace and incite violence. Earlier on Tuesday, Reuters quoted medical and security sources as saying that Iraqi security forces had killed at least 14 people and wounded 865 others in Karbala. At the start of October, violent street protests erupted in several Iraqi cities over unemployment and poor public services. The demonstrations resumed on Friday after a pause of about two weeks.

Link to original article

Previous Article Lebanon’s Prime Minister Saad Hariri Resigns
Next Article Afghan Forces Kill 33 Militants in Eastern Province
Print
36 Rate this article:
No rating

Leave a comment

Add comment

x
«December 2019»
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
25
26
27
28
29
30
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
1112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345